Friday, January 6, 2012

Feral Cousins and Feathered Friends

Woke this morning to more snow!
Thank goodness the temperature is a wee bit warmer.
Ha ha and by that I mean it isn't -25C (-13F) it's -11C (12F)!


Trudged through my back yard to top up the feeders!




I bought this heated bird bath at the start of the winter.
It certainly attracts the birds especially when the temps REALLY dip!




The last few years I have had the feral cousins feeding station at the back of my yard.
There were a few problems with that:
too close to the bird station
when it snowed hard I couldn't get back there
and
there really wasn't a spot that seemed very protective.

So this year I have it on my front porch and so far it seems to be working.
Also I am pretty sure some of the cousins sleep under my front porch.
I have used my old bird bath heater from previous years to keep water for them.
The food is going and I see little kitty prints!


Holly's cat Charlie keeps a watchful eye over me while I top the station up!

3 comments:

Deb said...

That Charlie is a handsome boy. I love that you care so much about the birds and the ferals. I am setting my Christmas tree up as a feeding station for our birds and as you already know, still feeding the cats under the trucks at the warehouse. Everything is hungry.

Mariodacatsmom said...

Blessings to all of you who feed the ferals. Such important work you all do. They can't say thank you, but I can - so thank you.

Deb said...

Hi Susan
Thanks for the comment. I have been told to try serving her food on a flat plate instead of a bowl as that has helped other cats. I know she has been through a lot of stress but up until she went in to be spayed she was pretty relaxed and enjoying her life. Now, having stitches and acne on her chin she find Audrey a pain in the a** and just wants to be close to me. I just may end up separating them if the right people want to adopt. What a saga this has been. Don't think I'll be fostering for a while. :-b